Sunday, December 11, 2011

Rais Bhuiyan: new story just out (with older items)


Rais Bhuiyan, American

Suddenly the tow truck reappears. The driver guns the engine. He trains a bright halogen light down into Bhuiyan's face and unleashes a fusillade of curses.

GO here

I wanted to add for this site a couple of moving pieces:

June 23, 2011 By Steve Thomgate (Excerpted from personal piece in The Christian Century, online):
The most Christlike behavior I've seen in the news in some time comes from a Muslim victim of a hate crime: Just 10 days afte the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Rais Bhuiyan was working at a gas station in Dallas when he was shot in the face by a man named Mark Stroman. Stroman was on a shooting spree, targeting people who appeared to be Muslim or of Middle Eastern descent...Bhuiyan, the only survivor of the attacks, is fighting to save (Stroman's) life...

Written June 26, 2011 By Mark Stroman (In a typewritten letter evidently composed and styled authentically like this by Stroman. This was sent to the journalist Timothy Williams who published the same in a larger article on July 18, 2011 -- found in The NYTimes -- shortly before the...execution):
Not only do I have all my friends and supporters trying to Save my Life, but now I have The Islamic Community Joining in...Spearheaded by one Very Remarkable man
Named Rais Bhuiyan, Who is a Survivor of My Hate. His deep Islamic Beliefs Have gave him the strength to Forgive the Unforgiveable...that is truly Inspiring to me, and should be an Example for us all. The Hate, has to stop, we are all in this world together. My jesus Faith & Texas Roots have Deepened My Understanding as well. Its
almost been 10 years since the world stopped Turning, and we as a nation will never be able to forget what we felt that day. I surely wont, but I can tell you what im
feeling Today, and that's very grateful for Rais Bhuiyan's Efforts to save my life
after I tried to end His...

July 19, 2011 (Again excerpted from personal piece by Steve Thomgate in The Christian Century, online):
It's worth noting...Bhuiyan didn't set out to teach Stroman that his beliefs about Muslims were ignorant and hateful. He set out to save Stroman from death at the hands of a justice system that argues...people like him are beyond redemption. It looks like he'll fail at that goal but the fact that he tried helped to effect a remarkable change of heart in Stroman -- who, of course, exists within the reach of grace just like everyone else...

Mark Stroman was killed by the State of Texas Wednesday, July 20, 2011.

Rais Bhuiyan's work of compassion goes on. You can find out more on his website:
World Without Hate here

No comments: